Monday, December 12, 2011

Lifting the Wheel of Karma by Paul H. Magid

Lifting the Wheel of Karma
by Paul H. Magid

REMARKABLE DEBUT NOVEL BY AUTHOR WHO HAS LIVED EVEN MORE REMARKABLE LIFE

A Modern Tale that Harkens back to the Myths of Antiquity
A Porfound Spiritual Journey of Extraordinary Healing and Redemption

          Paul H. Magid knows all about overcoming adversity and channeling that experince into evocative handiwork. He has dendured more in one life than some people might face in ten lifetimes. Magid was paralyzed from the neck down in a severe spinal compression accident, though fortunately he made a full recovery. He was beset in the decades that followed with multiple joint reconstruction surgeries, Hashimoto's Disease (thyroid), Gilbert's Disease (liver), Crohn's Disease (intestinal), and Addison's Disease (adrenal). He still must take more medications each day than most people take in vitamins in a week's time.

          It was this lifetime filled with unrelenting hardship and penetrating adversity that severely tested Magid's inner strength, resolve, belief system, and infuse him with the creative drive to craft a novel that is a distinctive mix of enlightening spiritual journey with the intensity and power of the ancient mythological archetype.

          "Life itself," says Magid, "is of course a spiitual journey, often a painful one, yet persering through that pain can lead to powerful wisdom and healing insights. For me, the most engaging spiritual stories are the ones that tap into the mythical dimension that resonates deep withinthe collective unconscious of us all. While I knew I wanted to share with the world a deeply meaningful tale, I also knew I wanted to deliver one that recognizes that our lives are permeated and guided by forces beyond our control,forces more powerful than us, and very with designs not of choosing that will challenge us physically, emotionally, and spiritually."

          Lifting The Wheel of Karma brings to life Joseph Connell, a gifted high school athlete from Montana, loved deeply by his family, yet tormented by nightmarish visions he can neither explain nor escape.

          He belives the answer to what threatens to crush himcan be found in the knowledge possessed by a mythical old wise man, who lives deep within the remote Himalayans of India

          If Joseph is ever to find the peace he so desperately seeks, he must get this wise old man to reveal what he truly knows, but that will not be easy...for this sage knows far more than he truly admits.

Paul H. Magid started writing his debut novel, Lifting the Wheel of Karma, 25 years ago while still in high school. He tried repeatedly to abandon it, but the work refused to be forsaken. Eventually he realized that sharing this story with the world was, in fact, his Dharma -his duty in life.

Along the way he has worked as a Wall Street financial analyst, a waiter (not a very good one), a Hollywood Agent Trainee, a real estate developer, a summer day camp director, an award winning screenwriter, and independent filmmaker--including his autobiographical film, "A Life Unfinished," which screened in The Hamptons International Film Festival.





Please visit the author's website at: http://www.paulhmagid.com/
Lifting the Wheel of Karmais available at  Amazon

4 comments:

Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...

Thanks for sharing this.

Darrell Moneyhon said...

Dear Christina,
A timely review, in that I have been intellectually (and emotionall/spiritually) processing the concept of karma lately.
I had a recent karmic experience of my male friend and I reversing the role of my wife and myself. My friend, Mark, seemed to take on my "Martian" role of all business/concept at a time that I was hoping for more encouraging words about the book that I recently published (www.allsvilleemerging.com).
While he did philosophize in an indirectly encouraging way about some of the main tennents of my book, he never once said "that was written well" or "that was interesting," etc. after reading a couple of excerpts I had selected for him.
This was me talking to me-in-the-role-of-Becky (my wife), who, like so many women, had been complaining about my lack of social/interpersonal responsiveness (directly supportive or encouraging words. I had been too Martian-like, in reference to John Grey's "men are from Mars, women are from Venus").
In the coincidental (or cosmically-planned?) object lesson with my male friend, I got a taste of my own Martian medicine. Now I have an opportunty to learn to give more weight to "social," as opposed to my typical emphasis on the intellectual pursuit of the truth. Sometimes the hunter needs stop and gather up the delicious little berries of love and support. Life is not all form. Life is also color. Sometimes I need to stop and smell the roses. Etc.
Some of my concepts and images above are borrowed from a passage I "coincidentally" (I beleive, synchronistically) that I read yesterday from Arjuna Ardagh's book The Translucent Revolution. Check out Arjuna's speculations which approximate Grey's "Martian/Venutian" theory:
"... The masuculine energy in all of us, both men and women, is associated with the left side of the brain, which preocesses words, logic, concepts, and time. The feminine, in both men and women, is associated with the riht side of teh brain - with images , feelings, color, and now. "
While I doubt that all of Arjuna's specultaion is true, there seems to be enough kernal of truth there to help instruct me in my own karmic object lesson recently.
The right brain is actually called the "non-dominant brain hemisphere." While this, no doubt, had other scientific meanings (related to handedness, etc.), the implications of social "dominance" may also be accidentally (or "odd-angle-ly") true.
From the object lesson and then from the reading passage, I got a chance to experience my masculine self from the perspective of my feminine side. I got the chance to face my own main (masculine) face.
Given my recent events and processings, Lifting the Wheel of Karma might well be worth my looking into. Thanks,
Darrell Moneyhon

Power Coach Alishia said...

What a great review, I am putting it on my list "To Read".

Would you be willing to read my book Live The Life You Love "Relationships" and give a review whether it be positive or negative? I am looking for honest reviewers.

Check out my blog here
http://www.alishiawillardson.blogspot.com

MamaElk said...

What a wonderful review. I am adding this to my tbr list. I have to know his story now.
Thank you.