Saturday, July 20, 2013

Release Event | Wicked Hunger by DelSheree Gladden


Book Title: Wicked Hunger
Series: SomeOne Wicked This Way Comes
Author: DelSheree Gladden
Release Date: July 9th
Genre: YA Urban Fantasy
Length: 95,000 words/240 pages
Publisher: GMTA Publishing LLC
Presented by: As You Wish Tours

SYNOPSIS

Vanessa and Zander Roth are good at lying. They have to be when they are hiding a deadly secret. Day after day, they struggle to rein in their uncontrollable hunger for pain and suffering in order to live normal lives. Things only get worse when Ivy Guerra appears with her pink-striped hair and secrets. The vicious hunger Ivy inspires is frightening, not to mention suspicious.

Vanessa’s instincts are rarely wrong, so when they tell her that Ivy’s appearance is a sign of bad things to come, she listens. She becomes determined to expose Ivy’s secrets. Vanessa tries to warn her brother, but Zander is too enamored with Ivy to pay attention to her conspiracy theories.

One of them is right about Ivy … but if they lose control of their hunger, it won’t matter who is right and who is wrong. One little slip, and they’ll all be dead.

EXCERPT

Chapter 2: The Rules

By the time I burst out of my last class and gather my books from my locker, I’m actively looking for Laney and her bizarre cousin, Ivy. I need some help, some indication of whether or not I’m going crazy, and I know just who to turn to. I need Zander. I know I shouldn’t get him involved. Zander has been through enough over the last few years. Everything that happened, it nearly broke him, and it scared me to death.

She shouldn’t be any risk to Zander. Whatever this curse is, it doesn’t work like that. We don’t share meals. Zander will know if my reaction to her is something above normal. Maybe I’m just getting too close to my sixteenth birthday, but it might be something else.

When Laney and Ivy come down the hall toward me, I force myself to put on a somewhat friendly appearance. It’s the best I can manage in the face of the reaction she elicits from me. I take my place next to Laney when they reach me. That puts Ivy on Laney’s other side, away from me. Even still, it isn’t much of a buffer. My hunger still gnaws at me, so I step a little further away.

“Hey,” Laney says, “Ivy and I wanted to go for ice cream. Wanna come?”

“Can’t. I’ve got a class to teach right after school today,” I remind her.

Laney purses her lips. “I can never remember what days you teach what.”

“If you tried coming to a class, maybe you’d remember.”

“Yeah, right. You just want me to come so you can laugh at me.”

“Everyone laughs at you, anyway,” Ketchups says as he catches up to us and slings his arm around my shoulder. Normally, I would throw it back off, but the comfort of having him next to me helps with my hunger.

Ketchup was obviously expecting my rebuff, and when it doesn’t happen he looks down at me with a frown. I try to avoid making eye contract. That’s not very easy when it comes to Ketchup. His jet black hair, baby blues, and general Superman-lookalike quality makes it hard not to stare. I meet his concerned eyes and he sees the turmoil raging inside of me.

“You okay?” he asks quietly.

No. But I can’t explain this to him. Ketchup is always there for me, no matter what, but he has no idea what is really behind my strange abilities and disconcerting mood swings. I shrug and look away, wishing Zander wasn’t right, wishing I could tell Ketchup everything.

“What do you teach?” Ivy asks, eyeing Ketchup.

“Hip hop and ballet,” I say, hoping it will distract her from Ketchup.

It does.

I watch as her eyes take in the surprise of me being in anyway rhythmically inclined. That’s the reaction I usually get. People who don’t know me well think I’m a moody, dark teenager. I’m really just trying not to kill them.

AUTHOR RECOMMENDATIONS
Delsheree Gladden's first book in her new YA series SomeOne Wicked This Way Comes is a riveting story of uncontrollable bloodlust that turns dealing with family, friendships, trust, devotion and love into a WICKED HUNGER~~~Susan Stec, author of Dead Girls Never Shut Up and The Grateful Undead Series.

AUTHOR BIO
DelSheree Gladden lives in New Mexico with her husband and two children. The Southwest is a big influence in her writing because of its culture, beauty, and mythology. Local folk lore is strongly rooted in her writing, particularly ideas of prophecy, destiny, and talents born from natural abilities. When she is not writing, DelSheree is usually teaching yoga, coaching gymnastics, reading, painting, sewing, or working as a Dental Hygienist. Her works include Escaping Fate, Twin Souls Saga, and The Destroyer Trilogy. DelSheree's newest series, The SomeOne Wicked This Way Come series, follows Vanessa and Zander Roth, siblings with an uncontrollable hunger for pain and suffering that will either gain them limitless power or lead them to their deaths.


No comments: